Panasonic DC – S1R Full Frame Mirrorless Body
Panasonic‘s high-resolution entry into the full-frame mirrorless world, the Lumix DC- S1R. The S1R pairs impressive and versatile imaging capabilities with a durable physical construction. The S1R boasts a full-frame 47.3MP MOS sensor, paired with a Venus Engine, to produce detailed, high dynamic range stills along with video recording up to 4K60p. The sensor’s design omits a traditional low-pass filter in order to achieve the greatest sharpness. On-chip aspherical micro lenses promote greater sensitivity, light condensation, and color response. Additionally, the sensor and processor work to achieve a top expanded sensitivity of ISO 51200 along with quick 9 fps continuous shooting rate. Complementing both stills and video capabilities, the image sensor also utilizes an advanced DFD contrast-detection autofocus system for quick and precise focusing and subject tracking. Additionally, sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by 5.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting.
Beyond the imaging attributes, the S1R is also distinguished by its body design, which incorporates an impressively high resolution 5.76m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder along with a 3.2″ 2.1m-dot triaxial tilt touchscreen LCD. The magnesium-alloy body is weather-sealed to permit working in harsh conditions and has a top status LCD for reviewing shooting settings on the fly. XQD and SD card slots offer flexible storage capabilities and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity afford remote camera control along with wireless image transferring to tablets and smartphones.
47.3MP Full-Frame MOS Sensor and Venus Engine:
- Featuring a full-frame 47.3MP MOS sensor, along with an updated Venus Engine, the S1R has imaging capabilities that have been optimized for high-resolution recording along with notable sensitivity, a wide dynamic range, and flexible recording modes. The sensor’s design omits a low-pass filter in order to maintain the highest degree of sharpness and on-chip micro lenses feature an aspherical design to improve light condensation and promote greater sensitivity, reduced noise, and more accurate rendering. An anti-reflective coating also helps to reduce surface reflections and flare for accurate color response. When combined with the Venus Engine’s processing power, noise levels are further suppressed throughout the sensitivity range, from ISO 100-25600, and processing capabilities further yield fast full-resolution continuous shooting speeds up to 9 fps with AF-S or 6 fps with AF-C, for more than 40 consecutive raw files.
UHD 4K Video Recording:
- Beyond stills shooting, the S1R is a capable video camera featuring up to UHD 4K60p recording with 4:2:0 8-bit color and unlimited recording times for the limit of the memory card. Also, high-speed recording modes for UHD 4K60, with 30 fps playback, and Full HD 180 fps, with 30 fps playback, offer 2x and 6x slower motion, respectively. Additionally, recording to an optional external recorder is possible, via the HDMI Type A port, and support for an external microphone and headphones are also available via dedicated 3.5mm jacks.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- An impressive Real View Finder is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED EVF offering a clear 0.78x configurable viewing magnification along with a smooth 60 fps or 120 fps changeable refresh rate, 0.005 sec lag, and 10,000:1 contrast ratio.
- Large 3.2″ 2.1m-dot LCD is a bright, clear means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. The screen features a triaxial tilting design to suit working from high and low angles, even in the vertical shooting orientation, and its touchscreen design affords intuitive settings control. Live View Boost is a dedicated viewing mode for working in low-light conditions, where the viewing sensitivity can be increased to aid in composing your image, and a Night mode also benefits working in dark conditions by lowering the screen’s backlight intensity.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a top status LCD can also be used for quickly reviewing shooting settings, even when the camera is powered off.
- Durable, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy construction is splash, dust, and freezeproof to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
- Ergonomic design provides a large, comfortable right-hand grip along with easily accessible physical controls, an eight-way joystick, and a refined overall UI design for intuitive use. Additionally, illuminated buttons aid settings adjustment in low-light conditions and a lock lever prevents unwanted settings changes.
- Dual memory card slots—one XQD slot and one SD slot. Offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording. Additionally, the SD slot is UHS-II compatible for fast read/write speeds and the XQD slot will be compatible with the CFexpress standard after a future firmware update.
- A USB Type-C port allows for fast file transferring as well as high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, an HDMI Type A port benefits video applications, a 2.5mm port can be used with the optional DMW-RS2 Remote Shutter, 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs, and a PC sync port can be used for wired flash synchronization.
- DMW-BLJ31 battery: 360-380 shots with rear monitor, 340-360 with EVF, and 1100-1150 in Power Save LVF mode.
- High precision shutter mechanism offers a top mechanical speed of 1/8000 sec, a flash sync speed of 1/320 sec, and has been tested for approximately 400,000 actuations.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization:
- Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, Dual I.S. 2 merges the S1R’s 5.5 stop-rated 5-axis sensor-shift IS with 2-axis lens IS for sharper, clearer images across various movements. Dual I.S. 2 requires the use of compatible Lumix lenses featuring O.I.S. This stabilization system is able to compensate for approximately 6 stops of camera shake.
- Depth-From-Defocus tech calculates subject distance and adjusts focus in just 0.08 seconds, with sensor-lens communication at up to 480 fps. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes. Advanced AI tracks moving subjects based on type, color, size, and motion, ensuring precise focus. Face/eye detection aids portrait photography. You can further enhance performance with specific subjects by adjusting the focusing sensitivity and speed. It also features 225 AF areas, which provide excellent control over where the camera will focus. Additionally, supporting working in low-light conditions, a Low Light AF feature enables accurate AF performance down to -6 EV.
- Manual focus is enhanced in the S1R with focus peaking, highlighting contrast edges in color for precise focus. Touch MF Assist enables touch-to-focus. The S1R offers extra AF options: AF Point Scope (3x to 10x magnification) for focus confirmation and a customizable AF zone for Multi AF/Custom Multi AF.
6K and 4K PHOTO:
- S1R’s video features three still modes: 8MP at 60/30 fps (3:2 or 4:3) and 18MP at 30 fps.
- Burst mode: Enables continuous recording for capturing fast-paced moments.
- Pre-Burst mode: Records images one second before and after pressing the shutter, providing 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S) mode: Mirrors video recording, letting you select and save a frame as an 8 or 18MP image.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi:
- Bluetooth Low Energy (4.2) provides constant connection between your smartphone or tablet and the camera with minimal power consumption. It supports IEEE 802.11ac and b/g/n for faster wireless activities. Lumix Sync, for iOS and Android, enables remote shooting and image transfer.
Lumix S 24-105mm f/4 Macro O.I.S. Lens:
- The S1R includes the Lumix S 24-105mm f/4 Macro O.I.S., a versatile zoom with a constant f/4 aperture. Advanced optics reduce aberrations, fringing, and distortion for sharp, clear, and precise images. Moreover, it excels with a 1:2 maximum magnification ratio and an 11.8″ minimum focusing distance, ideal for close-up photography. Additionally, an Optical Image Stabilizer, which supports the camera’s Dual I.S. 2, aids in minimizing camera shake for sharper handheld shots and features a weather-sealed design for rugged conditions.
Other Camera Features:
- With sensor-shift stabilization, the S1R offers a High Resolution mode, combining eight exposures for a 187MP raw/JPEG file. Ideal for static subjects and tripod use, it delivers unparalleled detail and color accuracy at 16736 x 11168 pixels.
- HLG Photo mode offers increased dynamic range for improved retail in shadow and highlight regions of the image.
- In HLG Photo mode, store images as HSP files in 8K/4K, plus JPEG and raw formats, for vivid TV viewing.
- Besides the conventional 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9 ratios, you can also record photos in 65:24 and 2:1 panoramic formats.
- I.S. Status Scope displays a shake arrow in the viewfinder or LCD, helping identify camera shake type.
- S1R’s flicker reduction detects artificial lighting frequency, ensuring consistent exposure and color by syncing the shutter with peak brightness.
- Helping to contain bright highlights. Highlight Weighted Metering mode prioritizes highlight values when making an exposure metering in order to prevent scenes from blowing out.
- AWBw keeps a warm, reddish tint, while AWBc provides a cooler, bluish tint, offering versatility beyond standard Auto White Balance.
- Lumix Tether enables wired, tethered shooting capabilities via USB connection between the camera and a computer. This app offers a bigger preview, remote shutter, 6K/4K Photo modes, and video control.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Flat, Landscape, Portrait, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, L. Monochrome D, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, Like709, Standard (HLG), Monochrome (HLG), Like2100, and My Photo Style.