Designed for video and stills shooters alike, the Lumix DMC-G85 from Panasonic is a versatile Micro Four Thirds camera characterized by its quick performance, flexible photo capabilities, and UHD 4K video recording. Using a 16MP MOS sensor, this mirrorless camera has a sensitivity range from ISO 200-25600 to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions, and also affords quick shooting speeds up to 10 fps with single-shot autofocus, or 6 fps with continuous autofocus, as well as up to 40 fps when using an electronic shutter function and 30 fps at 8MP with 4K PHOTO Modes. Benefitting working in difficult lighting conditions, 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization can be used to dramatically reduce the appearance of camera shake, and this IS system pairs with select lens’ image stabilization systems for Dual I.S.
Complementing the imaging attributes, the camera also incorporates both a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder as well as a 3.0″ 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, which has a free-angle design to better enable working from high and low angles. Built-in Wi-Fi is also integrated into the design, which facilitates wireless image transferring and remote camera control from linked smartphones or tablets. Additionally, the body construction is weather-sealed to guard against dust and moisture for working in inclement weather conditions.
Included with the camera body is the Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S., which is a standard zoom lens that provides a 24-120mm equivalent focal length range. Its optical design incorporates three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element to reduce both chromatic and spherical aberrations throughout the zoom range. POWER O.I.S. is also featured to minimize the appearance of camera shake, and works in conjunction with the camera’s sensor-shift IS for more effective shake correction.
16MP Live MOS Sensor
UHD 4K Video Recording
4K PHOTO Modes
Utilizing the 4K video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
- 4K Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record 8MP images at 30 fps for up to 29 min. 59 sec, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- 4K Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you’re unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record 8MP images at 30 fps one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- 4K Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the 4K video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Dual Image Stabilization
Depth-From-Defocus AF Technology
For accelerated autofocus performance, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position in order to suit working with continuous shooting rates up to 6 fps with continuous AF. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking applications where subject color, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-onto the moving subjects and ensure precise focus. Additionally, supporting working in low-light conditions, a Starlight AF feature enables accurate AF performance down to -4 EV.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- An integrated 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder offers a bright, clear eye-level means for composing images, and features a 0.74x effective magnification.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0″ 1.04m-dot rear LCD monitor has a free-angle design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- The camera body features a durable weather-sealed construction that renders it both dust- and splash-proof for use in trying environmental conditions.
- Ten programmable function buttons can be used to control a wide variety of settings and tools.
- The included rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated to provide approximately 330 shots per charge when working with the rear LCD, 320 shots with the EVF, or 800 shots with the Power Saver LVF mode.
- A built-in pop-up flash is available to provide additional illumination when working in low-light conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets.
Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens
Other Camera Features
- A variety of bracketing modes can be used for shutter speed, aperture, and white balance settings. Focus bracketing is also possible, for up to 999 images with focus steps set in 5 levels, for focus stacking applications.
- Creative Control modes allow you to apply a unique look to imagery in-camera, and include Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
- Photo Styles can be used to impart a distinct quality into either stills or videos, and include Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, Cinelike V.
- A Silent Mode can be used to mute camera noises for more discreet shooting in sound-sensitive environments.