Panasonic Lumix DC-G100
Built for vloggers, the Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 is a mirrorless Micro Four Thirds camera with a specialized feature-set for multimedia content creators. With a 3.0″ touchscreen LCD with free angle tilting for easy selfie framing, 4K video recording, and optimized OZO audio by Nokia, the G100 also has a compact, bring-anywhere design for travelog and on-the-go shooting.
Beyond just competent imaging capabilities, the Panasonic Lumix DC-G100’s sleek design also incorporates a high-resolution electronic viewfinder for bright and clear eye-level shooting and a unique vlogging-specific user interface is featured that makes recording a more intuitive process. Benefitting both stills and video is 5-axis sensor-shift Hybrid I.S., which compensates for camera shake when walking or moving in order to deliver sharper and smoother footage. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth also enable wireless connectivity for quickly sharing photos and videos to your smartphone or for remotely operating the camera.
Digging into the imaging capabilities a bit more, the Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 has a 20.3MP MOS Micro Four Thirds sensor and Venus Engine image processor, which contribute to smooth image quality, low noise, and a high dynamic range. UHD 4K video recording is supported up to 30p, as well as Full HD at 60p, and external FHD recording is possible via the micro-HDMI port. The sensor and processor also enable DFD autofocus, for quick and precise focusing and subject tracking, as well as creative 4K PHOTO, Post Focus, and in-camera Focus Stacking modes.
- Benefitting recording while walking, riding, or even just working in low-light conditions, 5-axis Hybrid I.S. is an optimized image stabilization system that works in conjunction with lens-based OIS to reduce the appearance of camera shake for smoother video footage and sharper stills.
- The rear 3.0″ 1.84m-dot LCD features a static touchscreen design for intuitive and responsive use and it has a free-angle design that benefits working from high, low, and front-facing (selfie) angles.
- Updated UI for vlogging includes a REC Frame Indicator, which presents a red border around the image frame, so you can easily confirm recording or not. Also, a Frame Marker overlay can be used to highlight the specific region of the frame that will show depending on the selected aspect ratio, which is perfect for direct output to social media platforms.
- Vertical video recording support is especially useful for video content intended to be viewed on a smartphone.
- Video Selfie Mode activates on forward screen rotation, optimizing depth of field, using face detection, and adjusting sound pickup range.
- OZO Audio by Nokia enhances recording with three integrated mics, offering rich spatial audio for precise sound direction.
- Configure manually or use Tracking mode, which syncs with the lens angle and face recognition, ideal for interviews and selfies.
- Choose Surround for omnidirectional recording, Front for subjects in front, or Back for capturing subjects behind the camera.
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The G100 excels in high-speed imaging with a 20.3MP sensor and advanced Venus Engine processor for sharp stills and 4K video. This configuration maximizes resolution while keeping noise to a minimum, permitting the use of sensitivities up to ISO 25600.
UHD 4K Video Recording
The G100 offers versatile video capabilities, recording UHD 4K at 30p with 8-bit color depth and 4:2:0 sampling, and Full HD at 60p. Alternatively, Full HD external recording is supported via micro-HDMI with 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth. V-Log L has been pre-installed and is used to capture a flat, neutral gamma curve. This is well-suited for grading in conjunction with a LUT for greater control over color. Unlock creative motion control with 4x and 2x slow, plus 8x, 4x, and 2x quick motion settings in Full HD recording. Time-lapse and stop-motion options capture evolving subjects. Additionally, a 3.5mm microphone input is available for improved external audio capture.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- A large OLED Live View Finder has a high 3.68m-dot resolution and 0.73x magnification for bright and clear eye-level composition.
- The 3.0″ 1.84m-dot rear LCD monitor has a versatile tilt and swivel design, offering flexible image composition and playback. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- The DMW-BLG10PP lithium-ion battery offers about 270 shots with the rear LCD, 250 with the LVF, or 900 in Power Save LVF mode. Additionally, the battery can be charged in-camera via USB or via AC power.
- A dedicated Send Images button, built-in 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy facilitate wireless image sharing, remote camera control, geolocation, and automatic image transfer with smartphones and tablets.
4K PHOTO Modes
Three still shooting modes at 30-fps with Panasonic Lumix DC-G100’s video recording capabilities:
- Burst: Ideal for fast frame rates in continuous recording.
- Pre-Burst: Captures images before and after shutter press for critical moments.
- Burst (S/S): Records video, lets you pause and save a chosen frame as an 8MP image.
Post Focus and Focus Stacking
Another attribute of the 4K capabilities is a unique focusing method called Post Focus. Working in conjunction with the contrast-detection focusing system and the intelligent Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology. Post Focus records imagery as a 4K MP4 file at 30 fps. Vary focus points during burst shooting for multiple in-focus ranges. Tap desired focus point via touchscreen in playback for precise control. In-camera focus stacking extends depth of field for close-ups by blending shots with varied focus points. Achieve greater depth of field with in-camera focus stacking for close-up subjects.
Depth-From-Defocus AF System
DFD tech boosts autofocus speed by calculating subject distance for continuous shooting with continuous AF. Contrast-detection focus benefits stills, videos, and tracking subjects based on color, size, and motion vectors. Face/eye detection simplifies portrait photography, ensuring precise focus on pupils.
The focusing sensitivity and speed can be adjusted to further improve performance with certain subjects. Additionally, AF sensitivity down to -4 EV supports working in low-light conditions.
Other G100 Features
- Selfie Functions: Soft Skin Mode, Filter Effects, Background Control, Slimming Mode, Hands-Free Face Shutter Mode, and Self Timer.
- Edit in-camera: split video, resize, crop, develop raw files, retouch, and remove objects for seamless customization.