The Panasonic DC-BS1H Full Frame Box Camera is a modular digital cinema camera with a small form-factor that features a 24.2MP sensor, a Leica L lens mount, and a wide 14+-stop dynamic range to accommodate extreme lighting changes when recording in V-Log. It records video with resolutions up to 5.9K as well as C4K (4096 x 2160) and UHD4K, and it incorporates VariCam Look workflows.
The camera features dual-native ISO using its Venus Engine, anamorphic support, advanced AF (autofocus), numerous remote and power options, and supports HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) colour for vivid imagery to aid professional colour grading. There are many features packed into this tiny camera that make it the go-to production camera in any mobile and multi-camera production environment.
The BS1H provides multiple ways to record your footage to high data rate files in the ALL-Intra LongGOP, MOV, and MP4 recording formats with H.264 and H.265/HEVC codecs. The camera supports unlimited recording time and allows you to record 10-bit 4:2:2 video using the camera’s dual SD card slots. It can output up to 4K via the HDMI 2.0 output, or you can output up to 1080p resolution via SDI. The camera allows you to output via HDMI and SDI simultaneously, so you can use one signal for monitoring and the other for recording. It also supports recording at variable frame rates for high-quality, slow-motion video. Custom 3D LUTs can be uploaded into the camera, using the SD card slots.
The BS1H is also an ideal camera for multi-camera environments, not only because it’s highly mobile, but it includes timecode and genlock BNC ports, so you can sync it with other cameras to make syncing in postproduction easy. Its RJ45 Gigabit LAN port allows you to sync with other networked BS1H cameras, manage the camera settings and functions, and even perform direct IP streaming with a future firmware update. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality are also integrated for monitoring, configuration, and control via a smartphone or tablet, using the LUMIX Sync app. Another function integrated into the BS1H is a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C input to control the camera with the LUMIX Tether app, which allows you to capture still images and control up to 12 BS1H cameras. Audio features include high-grade 48 kHz/24-bit LPCM format, an integrated stereo microphone, a 3.5mm mic/line-level input, and a 3.5mm headphone output. The optional DMW-XLR1 XLR adapter can be utilized, using the camera’s integrated hot shoe, allowing you to record with professional microphones.
Its compact body measures less than 10cm square and weighs only 590g, so it can be used on gimbals or drones for high-quality, stabilized footage. Its internal fan keeps the camera cool during long shoots, and its aluminium and magnesium housing provides protection and adds to the cooling factor. It also features 9 x accessory mounting threads for mounting onto a plate, cage, or tripod mount. There are four user-programmable function buttons around the housing as well as tally lights on the front and rear. You can power the BS1H using the included power adapter, with a separately available high-capacity VBR-type battery using its integrated mount, or by using PoE+ (Power-over-Ethernet) via the LAN port with compatible PoE equipment.
Note: Product is shown in use for illustration only, additional equipment is not included.
Key Features of the Panasonic LUMIX BS1H Full Frame Box Camera
- 24MP Dual Native ISO sensor with an optical low-pass filter (same as the LUMIX S1H)
- Compact Box-Style body weighing 585g
- 6K 24p 3:2 full sensor, oversampled 4K 25p, super35 4K 50p
- 5.9K RAW via HDMI (Blackmagic RAW + ProRes RAW)
- 3G SDI out, Genlock IN, Timecode IN/OUT, PoE+ LAN Port
- Remote 4K 50p live streaming via ethernet
- Simultaneous internal and external recording
Sensor and Processing Engine
The LUMIX BS1H utilises the same 24.2-megapixel 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor (35.6 mm x 23.8mm) as the critically acclaimed LUMIX S1H. The Venus Engine processor delivers minimised noise and outstanding image quality with a maximum ISO of 51200. In addition, an optical low-pass filter effectively suppresses moiré patterns.
- 24.2 MP sensor with low-pass filter
- Dual native ISO 100-51200 and 50 to 204,800
- 10-bit C4K/4K 59.94/50 video (35mm)
- 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording
- VFR C4K/4K, 2 to 60 fps, FHD 2-180 fps
By maximising the use of the pixels in the full-frame image sensor, the LUMIX BS1H is capable of 6K/24p, 5.4K/30p (3:2 aspect ratio) or 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) high-resolution, smooth video recording. It also provides 10-bit 60p 4K/C4Ki HEVC video recording when using the image area equivalent to Super 35mm. The 4:2:2 10-bit 4K30p is recordable in H.264 at its full area. Its high-resolution data can also be used for creating 4K videos with higher image quality or for cropping images in 4K.
- Supports 6K, 5.9K, 5.4K, C4K, and 4K in full-frame mode
- Supports C4K, 4K, Anamorphic 4K (4:3 aspect ratio), and FHD in S35mm mode
The LUMIX BS1H features V-Log/V-Gamut with a wide dynamic range of 14+ stops, in line with the dynamic range of the Panasonic VariCam, to precisely capture everything from dark to bright areas. Subtle gradations such as skin tones are faithfully reproduced, and consistent colour management is achieved in post-production. In addition to HDR (High Dynamic Range) video recording, the camera records video with a designated gamma curve compatible with ITU-R BT.2100 and offers Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in Photo Style.
- 14+ stops of dynamic range with V-Log and V-Gamut
- Compatible with the “Cinema VariCam Look”
- Supports LUT files
- LUT-applied images viewable on SDI and HDMI outputs
Deep Learning Autofocus Algorithm
The camera also incorporates an advanced Deep Learning autofocus algorithm that offers greater accuracy in detecting specific subjects – including humans, people’s faces, and fast-moving animals. In addition to the eye, face and body, the head is also separately recognised by real-time detection technology to provide even more precise focusing. The camera keeps tracking subjects when they move quickly, turn away, tilt their head or move far away from the camera.
Recording and Output
The LUMIX BS1H is capable of 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p/50p HDMI output. With a highly efficient heat dispersion structure, it can deliver unlimited video recording in a variety of recording formats, including 4:3 Anamorphic mode, to meet professional requirements for long form shooting.
In addition, with two alternatives for RAW workflowii, the LUMIX BS1H provides further support for wideranging creative needs. [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI to save Apple ProRes RAW video on the Atomos Ninja V or Blackmagic RAW on the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR external recorder.
VFR (variable frame rate) functionality supports video overcranking and undercranking. Users have access to 2.5x slow (24p/60 fps) in C4K/4K and 7.5x super-slow (24p/180 fps) in FHD. The minimum frame rate for quick motion video is 2 fps. In addition, HFR (High Frame Rate) recording includes audio and autofocus, allowing creation of slow-motion video in post-production.
- The camera records internally at 4:2:2 10-Bit/8-bit as well as 4:2:0 10-bit/8-bit to dual UHS II SD card slots that support cards with speed ratings up to V90
- The camera outputs Blackmagic RAW or ProRes RAW via the HDMI port for external monitoring and/or recording
- You can simultaneously output RAW over HDMI and video over SDI
- You can record internally, while simultaneously output FHD over SDI and up to 4K over HDMI
- Using the LUMIX Tether app version 1.1 or higher or LUMIX sync, you can record internally, output over both HDMI and SDI, and output via wired LAN or Wi-Fi
Ethernet Compatible Live Streaming Function
The camera features an Ethernet port that allows you to remotely control up to 12 x BS1H cameras. You can power the camera via PoE+ protocol over a network that supports PoE+, and you can also stream directly from the camera using the RTP/TRSP protocols. The camera supports streaming UHD 4K and FHD as well as 1280 x 720p.
To support live streaming, the LUMIX BS1H provides an IP streaming function over ethernet that enables high quality image transmission to a PC on a wired network that can then be live streamed to the preferred social platform using PC software. Notably, the LUMIX BS1H can transmit 4K 60p (50p) video in H.265. H.265 is highly efficient, requiring half the bitrate when transmitting video with the same image quality as H.264, thus providing 2x higher image quality when transmitting at the same bitrate as H.264. Transmitting video in ultra-high definition 4K at low bitrates is possible even in low bandwidth situations.
A wide range of connections for unlimited possibilities
With a body frame composed of aluminium and magnesium alloy, the LUMIX BS1H is compact and lightweight yet durable enough for field operation. This box-style camera provides a variety of practical ports.
The LUMIX BS1H complies with Power over Ethernet+ (PoE+) which allows the camera to be operated and powered using a single ethernet cable through compatible peripherals. Control over a maximum of 12 BS1H camerasiii is available using Panasonic PC software LUMIX Tether for Multicamiv. Terminals include USB 3.1 Type-C; plus 3G-SDI and HDMI Type-A which can be used for simultaneous output. In addition, Genlock IN (BNC) and Timecode IN/OUT (BNC) functions enable multi-angle synchronised video recording to support a scalable system with third-party external monitors, rigs and gimbals. The camera is also equipped with two SD Card slots for backup or relay recording.
When using LUMIX S Series lenses with the BS1H, Linear Focus control is available for smooth and repeatable focus transitions. In addition, during video recording, Boost I.S. (Image Stabiliser) can be used when S Series lenses with Optical Image Stabilisation are mounted.
- Supports Genlock as well as Timecode in/out, providing synchronization of cameras for live sports or later postproduction.
- Supports both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
- Frame Indicator (red outline surrounds frame indicating the camera is recording)
- Frame Marker
- Vertical Position Information
- Streaming Blue Frame Indicator
- Aspect Ratio masks
- Face/Eye recognition for focus tracking
- Low Light AF supports images with exposure levels down to -6EV
- Tally lamps (front 1 and rear 1), a network connection lamp
- Operation Lock switch and 5 function buttons
- Φ3.5 Audio (in/out) jack and compatibility with XLR microphone DMW-XLR1 (sold separately)
- Generic remote control unit φ2.5mm
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE)
- Remote camera control using application softwarev (LUMIX Tether for Multicam and LUMIX Sync)
- Tethered photo shooting with LUMIX Tether for Multicam software
- A SDK (Software Development Kit)vi for camera control via USB/LAN will be provided for free.