Characterized by its exceedingly durable design, the Olympus Tough TG-6 is a sleek point-and-shoot capable of handling a wide variety of adventures. Featuring a 12MP BSI CMOS sensor and TruePic VIII image processor, the TG-6 offers notable image clarity and low-light performance to ISO 12800, along with fast 20-fps continuous shooting, 4K30p video recording, and high-speed Full HD 1080p shooting at 120 fps. Complementing the shooting capabilities is a versatile 4x optical zoom lens, which spans a 25-100mm equivalent range, and has an f/2 maximum aperture to benefit working in difficult lighting conditions.
Beyond just imaging, the TG-6 also sports a robust set of features for withstanding the elements, tracking your adventures, and sharing your images. The camera is rated for underwater use, tested to withstand falls and crushing, and is hermetically sealed against dust and moisture when working in trying conditions. Additionally, a Field Sensor System incorporates GPS, a manometer, compass, and a thermometer for recording the details of your environment and embedding this data onto your photos and movies. Using built-in Wi-Fi and the Image Track app, recorded data and the imagery can also be shared to a mobile device for posting online.
Other Camera Features
- Rear 3.0″ 1.04m-dot LCD monitor offers a bright, clear means for shooting as well as image playback and menu navigation.
- Pro Capture Mode will automatically sequentially shoot from 0.5 to 10 seconds before the shutter is pressed to ensure you don’t miss a shot.
- Five separate underwater modes are available to produce more accurate shots when working in or near the water, and include Underwater Wide, Underwater Macro, Underwater HDR, Underwater Snapshot, and Underwater Microscope. Additionally, three dedicated underwater white balance modes—Shallow, Mid-Range, and Deep—help to improve red and blue tones depending on the depth in which you are shooting.
- An apt close-up shooter, the TG-6 has four separate shooting modes within the Variable Macro System. Including Microscope, Microscope Control, Focus Stacking, and Focus Bracketing modes, you are able to photograph subjects as close as just one centimeter away.
- A 2x Digital Teleconverter function extends the effective zoom range to 8x, or a maximum equivalent focal length of 200mm, when working in Program, Aperture Priority, or Movie modes.
- Using a 25-point autofocus system, a variety of focusing features can be used depending on the type of subject you are photographing, including Face Detection AF, Focus Area Selection, and AF Tracking. Manual focus is also possible, with Manual Focus Assist and Focus Peaking functions to help.
- In-camera time-lapses can be recorded using an interval timer, with 1-second to 24-hour intervals for up to 299 consecutive images.
- Picture Modes: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, e Portrait, and Art Filters.
- Scene Modes: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Portrait +Landscape, Hand-held Starlight, Nightscape, Portrait + Nightscape, Children, Sport, Candlelight, Sunset, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Panorama, Live Composite, and Backlight HDR.
- Art Filters: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pinhole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, Partial Color, Bleach Bypass, and Instant Film.
- Detail of Art Effects: Soft Focus Effect, Pinhole Effect, White Edge Effect, Frame Effect, Star Light Effect, Blur Effect, B&W Effect, Pict. Tone Effect, and Shade Effect.
|File Formats||Still Images: JPEG, RAW
|Max Resolution||12 MP: 4000 x 3000|
|Lens||Effective Focal Length: 4.5 to 18mm (35 mm Equivalent: 25 to 100mm)
Aperture: f/2 (W) to f/4.9 (T)
|Focus Range||Normal: 3.94″ to Infinity / 10 cm to Infinity
Macro: 0.39″ to Infinity / 1 cm to Infinity
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100 to 12800|
|Shutter||1/2 to 1/2000 Second
4 to 0 Second in Night Scene Mode
|Exposure Modes||Modes: Aperture Priority, C1, C2, Intelligent Auto, Movie, Program, Scene Modes, Underwater
Compensation: -2 EV to +2 EV (in 1/3 EV Steps)
|White Balance||Auto, Custom, Underwater|
|Continuous Shooting||20 fps at 12 MP for up to 14 Exposures (Raw)
20 fps at 12 MP for Unlimited Exposures (JPEG)
10 fps at 12 MP for up to 14 Exposures (Raw)
10 fps at 12 MP for Unlimited Exposures (JPEG)
5 fps at 12 MP for up to 49 Exposures (Raw)
5 fps at 12 MP for Unlimited Exposures (JPEG)
|Self-Timer||2, 12 Sec|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Auto/Red-Eye Reduction, Fill Flash, Manual, Off, Slow Sync, Slow Sync/Red-Eye Reduction|
|Memory Card Type||SD
|Video Recording||Yes, NTSC/PAL|
|Resolution||3840 x 2160p: 30 fps, 25 fps
1920 x 1080p: 120 fps, 60 fps, 50 fps, 30 fps, 25 fps
1280 x 720p: 240 fps, 30 fps, 25 fps
640 x 480p: 480 fps
|Video Clip Length||Up to 29 Minutes|
|Audio Recording||Built-In Mic: With Video (Stereo)|
|Screen||3.0″ LCD Rear Screen (1,040,000 Pixels)|
|Connectivity||HDMI D (Micro), USB 2.0 Micro-B|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) Built In|
|Waterproof||49.21′ / 15 m|
|Battery||1 x LI-92B Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 3.6 VDC, 1350 mAh|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||4.4 x 2.6 x 1.3″ / 113.0 x 66.0 x 32.4 mm|
|Weight||8.92 oz / 253 g with battery and memory card|